Willkommen in der Festspiel- und Universitätsstadt Bayreuth (barrierefreie Version)


Hauptbereiche:

Tourism ] [ Package Deals ] [ Economy ] [ Culture & education ] [ Sports & leisure ] [aktiver Bereich: City Hall ]


Menüführung:

Town Council ] [ Advice Centre ] [aktiver Bereich: Figures & Facts ] [ Twin Towns ]


Figures, Dates, Facts

History

1194 First documentary evidence of Baierrute by Bishop Otto II of Bamberg.
1231 Status as town (civitas) conferred.
1260 Bayreuth is inherited by the Franconian Hohenzollern, i. e. the Burgraves of Nuremberg.
1430 The town is conquered and destroyed by the Hussites.
1533 Margrave Georg establishes the Reformation by a new church order.
1602 Epidemic of the Plague causes the death of more than 1,000 inhabitants.
1603 Margrave Christian transfers the margravial residence from Kulmbach to the Old Palace in Bayreuth.
1632 to
1634
During the Thirty Years' War the town is captured and looted by imperial troops in three consecutive years.
1735 Margrave Friedrich and Margravine Wilhelmine begin their reign.
1748 Opening ceremony of the Margravial Opera House to celebrate the wedding of princess Elisabeth Friederike.
1792 After the resignation of Margrave Alexander Bayreuth becomes a Prussian province.
1810 Due to Napoleon Bayreuth becomes part of the Kingdom of Bavaria.
1876 At the first Bayreuth Festival Richard Wagner performs "The Ring of the Nibelungs" three times.
1945 About a third of the town is destroyed by air raids.
1975 Lecturing and research work are taken up at the newly founded Bayreuth University.
1993 Bayreuth is appointed Oberzentrum (administrative and economic centre).
1998 Bayreuth University celebrates the topping-out ceremony of the 6th Faculty for Applied Natural Sciences
1999 Official opening of the new thermal spa "Lohengrin Therme" in Seulbitz.
 2003 Official opening of the Competence Center for New Materials of Northern Bavaria.
 2008 Wolfgang Wagner resigns as the director of the Bayreuth Festival after 58 years. The council of the foundation appoints his two daughters, Katharina Wagner and Eva Wagner-Pasquier to his successors.

 

Municipal area

altitude 345 m

area 6,692 ha
of which:

Built-up areas: 26.50 %
Area used for traffic: 9.89 %
Forests, public parks, play and sports grounds: 22,80 %
Agricultural area: 39,41 %
Other areas: 1,40 %

Length of town limits: 62,50 km


1Population

Development of the population:

1871: 17 841
1910: 34 547
1939: 45 028
1946: 55 612
1970: 64 536
1990: 72 345
2011: 72.885

ninth largest town in Bavaria; fifth largest town in Franconia; largest town in Upper Franconia

Denominations:
Protestant: 51,0 %
Catholic: 27.1 %
others: 21,9 %

households: 35,145



Connections by road, rail and air


1Culture, sport and entertainment facilities

Theatres

Museums

Sports centre

1Swimming pools

Golf course Rodersberg


1Schools, Colleges


1Tourism

Parks


Economy

Number of employees liable to contribute to social security: 42.778 (2012)

thereof:


Social institutions


Contact

Information, advice and assistance for municipal and other authorities



Zum Anfang der Seite springen

www.bayreuth.de ist das Internetangebot der Stadt Bayreuth. copyright © 2013
| | Zurück zur Layoutfunktion